Thursday, December 28, 2006

Only the Strong Survive

I read a lot of blogs while im at work (what else am i going to do? Work? ya right) and came accross this one that was posted in our guild forums.

Raid leader

Disclaimer:
Now I have no problem with my current guild and have no want to leave for a more Hardcore guild. I enjoy my playtime with my guild and it would take a lot for me to leave.

Opinion:
Now with the disclaimer out of the way, Here is my opinion on this type of raid leader. A lot of people think "Oh what an asshole! I would never stay in a guild like that." Well having gone through leadership school for the Air Force, I learned of many different leadership styles and how people respond to those leaders. Now most of the replies I got were from the younger folks and they say that it is un called for. Well I'm not saying that im old and wise but do have a bit more experience in life and being a veteran I have seen a few more things that what i had experienced in High school.

There is nothing wrong with this leadership style what so ever! Those people choose/applied to be in that guild and also have the right to leave at anytime they please. Those players are there cause they are like minded and strive to be the best on that server. And they are. They all strive for that and that shows they are strong. The weak wouldn't last 10 mins with that guild leader. Hence the saying "Only the strong survive" This is true to life and nature. If you are weak you will not last or you will be forgotten. I would have no problem in that guild or with a GL that was that way. Actually I would find it funny until i was getting picked on. But hey, if im screwing up then i would deserve it, and it would cause me to shape up. In my current line of work this is very important cause it could cost me my life, or my wingman's life.

Now im not saying that our guild is weak by anymeans, but I do know that most people couldn't handle this style of leadership. What most people are missing is the good things that come from that guild. We only see a snapshot of what is going on in that guild and as for all we know, that could be over a span of 3 months of raiding. He may have even given some positive reinforcement in there. We dont know. People tend to focus on the negative in there and miss the good that comes from it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hugo said...

I guess we don't have the same opinion on this. Maybe it's because of different backgrounds, but I only see this as unnecessary verbal abuse, which has no place, as far as I'm concerned, anywhere, much less a video game.

On our site, you mention that these guilds are "best guilds" on their servers. "Best"... Based on what? The fact that they killed a boss in a hard dungeon? Achievement alone shouldn't be the measuring stick of someone's status, it's also how you got those achievements done.

Our guild rocks because of how we got to where we are but still remain a fun, easy-going place to hang out. Take last night's MC for example. It was far from perfect, but we tried to keep things light regardless.

That's my 0.02$ CAN

December 29, 2006 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Dick said...

Well I do agree with you on "best" That term is kind of subjective. That guild would not be the best guild to you, but GoF would be the best guild. I guess i should have said "most advanced in end game content"?

I guess that is why enjoy this guild so much cause it so far from RL for me being so laid back not so structured all the time.

Oh and Sorry we dont accept canadian money here in AMERICA where this blog is being posted from!

December 29, 2006 at 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home